Created at the aftermath of the 9/11 event
at the initiative of the Commissioner of NYC-DEP
International Association of Water & Wastewater Utilities for Sustainable Water Security
The W-SMART Association was created at the aftermath of 9/11 under the leadership of the Commissioner of New York City Department of Environmental Protection. It involves private and public metropolitan water and wastewater utilities.
Its goal is to create an international experience sharing forum and promote collaboration among the member-utilities for upgrading their capabilities to ensure sustainable water safety and security with regard to terrorism, industrial and natural disasters.
Crisis Management Training
- Crisis Management Exercises with W-SMART members as observers for exercises conducted by their Peers. Read More
- Post-exercise Workshops for experience sharing Read More
- Expert Review and Technical Support for development of corporate guidelines, planning, execution, debriefing and performance assessment of crisis management exercises Read More
- CIOR Symposium - Building Resilience at Home and Abroad, with W-SMART participation Read More
Global Solidarity InitiativesTo support capacity building of local governments in vulnerable developing countries.
- Haiti, City of Carrefour. Post disaster recovery. Read More
- Maputo. Sustainable Sanitation Initiative in partnership with IWA. Read More
- Civil Society Initiative. promoting cooperation between Palestinian and Israeli cities. Read More
- East Mediterranean Coastal Eco-Security, UNESCO-IHP Hydro-Diplomacy Initiative Read More
W-SMART Research & Demonstration CenterStrategic Partnership of W-SMART, CEA (French Commission of Atomic Energy), KWR Research Institute and the University of Lille for Technology Assessment and Innovative Solutions to emerging challenges of the Water Industry. Read More
- INCOM. Intelligent Network Control & Monitoring System for Anomaly Diagnostics and Leak Detection. Read More
- Bio-SMART. Bio-Safety Monitoring & Active Risk conTrol for early detection of biocontamination. Read More
- SUNRISE. Smart Urban Networks for Resilient Infrastructure & Sustainable Ecosystems. Read More
- SW4EU. SmartWater4EUrope. Read More
- Urban-Resiliency & Crisis Management - Oct. 14 & 15 2016 - Sydney | Proceeding
International forum for experience sharing among metropolitan stakeholders and water operators on disaster resiliency challenges and their impacts on utility management practices and capacity building needs.
- Water Eco-Security 2015 - Dec. 3-5, 2015 - Paris| Proceedings
International forum of Water utilities for experience sharing and interactive assessment of urban water and wastewater management adaptation strategies facing climate change impacts and Eco-disaster resiliency challenges.
John P Sullivan
Conceição S. Almeida
Prof. Ilan Juran
Crisis Management Training
Global Solidarity Initiatives
Research & Demonstration Center
Workshops / Events / Surveys